Monday, December 29, 2008

Some promises are better not ketp!

I was watching this movie "Gone Baby Gone" yesterday and the end of the movie made me think if not startled me. You got to watch this movie before you read this further. Else you probably will miss the point where I am coming from

The movie is all about child abduction in Boston area. Having lived here for almost 3 years now - I can relate to the place and hence connect to such movies better. Ben Afflec has directed this movie and Casey Affleck plays married private detective helping investigate a little girl's kidnapping case. The mother of the missing girl is a drug addicted careless b****ch.

During the process of helping solve the case, Patrick Kenzie - the private detective promises the sloppy mother that he will find the child. As it appears the child kidnapping was a set up and a high ranking police officer (Morgan Freeman) was involved in it. The high ranking police officer did have good intentions to give the child a good life but the private detective Patrick Kenzie finds it out - informs the state police of Mass and gets the child back to her mother and the people involved in the girl's rescue (from unwise drug addicted mother) went to jail.

I don't know why all the movies shot around Boston area are kinda ending on a sad note - I remember The Departed also ending in a shoot out leaving Leonardo DiCaprio (Billy Costigan) dead...

What I quite didn't get is why Patrick Patrick Kenzie could not keep shut about the truth about the staged kidnapping of the girl.
  1. The child was happy with new foster parents - so to call them.
  2. He knew his wife - his fellow detective (Michelle Monaghan) would leave him for doing this...
  3. He got two senior detectives killed during the investigation
  4. And finally he virtually killed the soul of the girl by sending her back to her mother..
I am still wondering...
  1. Was it his ego or that he wanted to take a revenge for a high ranking police officer just fooled him brilliantly
  2. Or was it that the promise he made was more important than the ones' lives which revolved around lil girl?
  3. Or was it the fact that he couldn't handle the truth

The movie is so well made - I couldn't refrain from getting myself involved into it completely. The obvious lesson I couldn't miss was "there are some promises better not kept."

1 comment:

  1. well said. i 'm not gonna get in to commenting on ego, truth or promises. but as far as movies with sad and dark end are concerned, i love them. it might be difficult to absorb them easily, but sad and dark factors are the ones which keep movies real for me (Far Better than Yash Raj crap, he he). Any ways one more entry in my 'to watch' list.

    ReplyDelete