Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Relying on Social / Professional Networking websites while recruiting a candidate

I was browsing thru discussion on one of my groups at LinkedIn about leveraging websites like Facebook and LinkedIn to check a candidate's postings before recruiting him.

It tells me a few things ...

  1. We do way more things than just googling out for summer internship projects... we socialize over internet!!
  2. Social / professional networking sites are becoming defacto place to peep into anyone's activities
When it comes to taking an in-person interview; I make sure I "google out" the candidate's name to gather a few data points from not only Linked in but also from any other possible sources online!

The key here is to do this exercise before you get into an interview. This will help you gather some data points about what candidate is doing / has done in his / her professional life and more. Also, if you have developed any prejudices / doubts; during in-person interview, you can clarify by means of asking direct / indirect questions.


I do the same when I am appearing for an interview. If I knew the interviewer?s name in advance, I would like check his/her profile online so that I know whom I am meeting. It helps me better prepare for interview


Something to be aware of is that people have different personality when at work and when participating in discussions at Social Networking sites.


Net net: social and professional websites will definitely help you take a better (and informed) decision if you do note get carried away!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah...sites like Linked in might be useful in your field ...but not everywhere. For example...i can't find many of my classmates / seniors (designers) on Linked in. Even on facebook or other social networking sites...they won't be interested in putting details about their professional life :/ I hope the Linked in virus spreads fast enough in Indian design world :P

    ReplyDelete